Finding Balance

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Let's start a "loose weight" forum for Lenny Kravitz fans who desire to get real, loose weight, and become more healthy. This can be a place to share what works for you and what doesn't. Maybe you want to journal and let us know the struggle! Get creative! Keep in mind this is publicized so be mindful while still being authentic!!

I just started my exercise routine, this morning at 4:30AM. I bought a tape on TaeBo. I have about 50 lbs to loose. I have a book to calculate my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and REE (Resting Energy Expenditure). This gives an approximation of how many calories I am suppose to take in, how many grams of protein I am suppose to have/day, and how much fat should be consumed based upon my lifestyle, gender, and physical attributes (height, weight, and age). There is a mathematical equation to this and the numbers given is an approximation. The last time I did this, I lost 12 lbs in 2 wks. (Not intending to.)

My biggest setback is not giving up. I get discouraged and busy. Maybe there are like-minded people out there?
Madeline Gouin

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Way to go! Good luck with your efforts! I am always trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Everyday is a new day to get it right!

2. Journal

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

So, it is 7:42PM. I just calculated my food intake for the day. I consumed about 1,800 calories, 45.5g protein, and 44g fat. I think I might be a little high on my fat intake although, the book says below 50g.

How do I feel? Focused and impatient! Jesus. . . I wish I was a perfect size 14! And had a six pack! SMILE!

Madeline Gouin

3. Today's Thought

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:15 AM

"Exercising is just like a cup of coffee; I feel naturally refreshed and energized after completion."
    Madeline Gouin

4. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

hope things are going well! wish i had that coffee right now! I love starbucks and the book looks interesting! keep working towards your goal!

5. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Norma wrote:
    hope things are going well! wish i had that coffee right now! I love starbucks and the book looks interesting! keep working towards your goal!

Thank you Norma! I will write tomorrow morning.

Madeline Gouin

6. Motivation Leads Towards Right Actions

Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM

GOODMORNING!

This morning I am doing yoga before TaeBo.

"Amazingly, each muscle I stretch releases muscle memory, each breath I inhale provides an opportunity of self-reflection; upon exhale of my breath, toxins release from my mind and body--positive and negative energies (collective and individual) are re-aligned. I have somehow removed the micro-level blockage of energy flow. "

"I am not a yogi, trainer, or expert. I am an individual on a journey of self-discovery--taking action that hopefully leads towards becoming a better person and a more alive healthier me."

I WISH THE SAME FOR YOU!

Madeline Gouin

7. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 6:01 AM

I will write more another time. Don't be too hard on yourself. I just try to remember to move more and eat less. Don't give up, everyday is a blank slate for you to write on, a fresh start!

8. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Your goal is very good! Very commendable! As future nutritionist I can advise you to consult a doctor, nutritionist ... health professional. Whenever a patient loses weight, changes occur in the body symbolic and involving all body systems. You must be controlled so that your weight loss is an appropriate and healthy.
    Most importantly, motivation, and you clearly have! So I'm really happy for you!

YOU WILL GET IT!

A big kiss! Meli

P / A: Anything I think I can help, do not hesitate to ask, if in my power in knowledge, I will help!

9. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 6:19 AM

@Mel Espindola:

Thank you Mel Espindola! I was hoping this could be a place for fans to connect with a common goal! I will continue to write just because it is my passion!

Regarding my current weight-loss goal: there is a book I use titled, "Nutrition and Diet Therapy," which is very good. It is a textbook I used in one of my Nursing classes. I have struggled with weight since I had my last child. I think, as you get older, your body collects "fat" differently.

I get so busy with survival. Sometimes, the demands of family creates a situation where I have to purchase food outside of the home. I do believe, that's the "American Diet." This is where I am finding an issue. For example, I should not have purchased "baked bread" from a local merchant, yet my child was hungry, as well as I. I "quickly" went in and bought it for her. Well, I was hungry too! Guess what happened? I said "yes" too.

OFF the "Mindful Eating Path" I went!!

I just need to find my inner strength of focus and discipline to wait till I get home!!! I think I will buy some paper and write down in big letters, "EAT FOR NUTRITION, NOT FOR INDULGENCE!" Just as a simple reminder!

Take Care.

Madeline Gouin

10. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Hey Madeline,
    I'm wishing you good luck on your journey! Proper nutrition and a healthty lifestyle is so vitally important. For me, it's about moderation and maintaining a balance, supplemented with exercise. When you live in a place like New Orleans.... Ha
    Stay motivated!!!!
    Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

11. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Muzikliluvnlife wrote:
    Hey Madeline,
    I'm wishing you good luck on your journey! Proper nutrition and a healthty lifestyle is so vitally important. For me, it's about moderation and maintaining a balance, supplemented with exercise. When you live in a place like New Orleans.... Ha
    Stay motivated!!!!
    Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

I can't imagine living in New Orleans!!! No kidding. I do not like the heat!! But, you sure do give a glimpse of creole culture just through your expressions! They stand out. And I mean that as a compliment.

Not to change the subject here but, do you speak French?

Madeline Gouin

12. Push Yourself

Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Push yourself and be happy!

Madeline Gouin

13. Re: Desire to shed weight/pounds before next summer?

Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:18 AM

So, it has been a few days since my last update. I have been fighting a cold over the past week and thought I'd wait before exercising again! I know, that's no excuse but it is the truth. I am "officially" a member of a yoga program which seems to be easier on the body than hardcore aerobics!

Hmm! I've gotten bored already of the TaeBo! I'll keep trying its all I have! Holidays are a time of celebration and festive opportunities! I will enjoy the pumpkin pie! How about you?
    Madeline Gouin

14. Re: Finding Balance

Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Where do I begin? So I thought, I have begun. Yet, my breath seems to be reaching for a flow. Could it be Vinyasa?
    Madeline Gouin

15. Finding Balance and Vinyasa Yoga

Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Vinyasa is like a snake slithering throughout the earth's floor and like the ocean waves sending energy to the earth's core.

I never thought slow movements could cause such a wave to my body!

Blessings this morning!!!!!

Madeline Gouin

16. Re: Finding Balance

Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

"Life and longevity is a gift. The sacred architect of your heart flows within the dance of natural rhythms, similar to the ocean waves. Your mind and body are a temple; your soul the poet of your life. Within the natural rhythms of your breath exists your sensual flow of the Vinyasa dance." NAMASTE!

Madeline Gouin

17. Re: Finding Balance

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 4:57 AM

"Lovely vices of temptation and indulgence challenges my core. I dig and dig to rediscover my core strength to eat for nutrition, not indulgence!"

Madeline Gouin

18. Re: Finding Balance

Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM

They say, ":Eat to live, not live to eat"
    But as others said, it's all in moderation. When I was in France and Italy I didn't see overweight, let alone obese people. And they have the best food, bread, wine, etc. I think it's just in moderation.

Madeline Gouin wrote:
    "Lovely vices of temptation and indulgence challenges my core. I dig and dig to rediscover my core strength to eat for nutrition, not indulgence!"

Madeline Gouin

19. Re: Finding Balance

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM

"Then comes the battling of the mind. When to stop, when to say no, when to finally accept the only path is self-discipline. Sometimes, it is good to discover how to resist and see the results of it!! "

Madeline Gouin

20. Re: Finding Balance

Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Amazingly, life proves to withstand doubt and discouragement with great focus! I am still working towards my goal to she'd 50 pounds! Thank God for high energy music in step aerobics and Zumba! Need electronica to push my limits in exercise! And, my food intake has been changing slowly! I am beginning to eat more of a vegan diet naturally! Amazing! Love it!
    Madeline Gouin