Lenny as Marvin

Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

By now you have probably heard about Lenny getting the lead role in the upcoming Marvin Gaye Biopic. The film will highlight Marvin’s years in Belgium and the making of his last album. There is a good article about the project on Shadow and Act. http://bitly.com/UPHXsn Also, if you haven't seen the "Remembering Marvin" documentary by Richard Olivier, check it out. It focuses on his last years. Here's a clip. http://youtu.be/615poxoRJSM I see themes in the doc that make me think of Lenny. I also see similarities in their emotional and spiritual journeys.

News of the project started me thinking about Lenny covering Marvin. So what do you guys think is the perfect MG song for LK to cover? I'm still thinking.

Lenny Lover Sista
Live to Give

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM

. MAYBE Sexual Healing, "Whats Going On" .styles are different. Cant imagine LK singing- Lets Get It On

2. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 4:46 AM

ELZA wrote:
    . MAYBE Sexual Healing, "Whats Going On" .styles are different. Cant imagine LK singing- Lets Get It On

Elza,
    Good choices! When Marvin performed "Sexual Healing" in concerts he would strip down to his underwear. I wonder if the director will make Lenny do the same in the movie. LOL HeHeHe
    Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

3. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 5:10 AM

endlesspatient wrote:
    This news has also reached germany. Honestly, I´m worried. Without doubt Lenny is able to play the role as far as the story occurs on stage. But does he know that he will look into the mirror when he acts the character of Marvins private life? (Incase the screenplay demands it) I guess they have lots in common, like also Muzik says. To look into the mirror ... with a clear mind ... faced from another perspective...... oh oh ..... I don´t know if he really wants to see that.
    On the other hand it will be a big challenge and possibility to clarify his issues. Through this task he has the chance to find his peace and luck. But it will be hard! I hope that there will be strong people in his background that holds him when it will come to "emotional disasters". I wish the best for him.

Yes, I think this is a big challenge. Bringing Marvin's demons and vices to the surface will probably trigger many emotions and cause him to reflect on his own personal journey.
    Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

4. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Muzikliluvnlife wrote:
    ELZA wrote:

Elza,
    Good choices! When Marvin performed "Sexual Healing" in concerts he would strip down to his underwear. I wonder if the director will make Lenny do the same in the movie. LOL HeHeHe
    Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

Wow, never knew that about Marvin, cannot imagine Lenny stripping down, although he hasn't seemed to have a problem with nudity in the past. We shall see. I am thinking this role will be a challenge as Marvin did deal with many demons in his life. Lenny is up to the challenge, cannot wait to see how it all pans out.

5. Re: Lenny as Marvin Gaye

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM

"Sexual Healing," by Marvin Gaye is a beautiful song. Have you ever really thought about the lyrics? "Get up. Get up. Get up. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up. . . . Baby. . . I think I'm capsizing. . . . and when I get that feeling, I want sexual healing. . . ."
    Madeline Gouin

6. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Muzikliluvnlife wrote:
    ELZA wrote:

Elza,
    Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

Muzikliluvnlife ,
    ] Have to have that part to get well real !!!!! HeHeHe

7. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Here I see that fans asking .. why a singer / actor and not an actor / singer? I think the biggest challenge for him will be to make people not realize the LK on the screens.

angiebaby wrote:
    Muzikliluvnlife wrote:
    ELZA wrote:

Elza,
    Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

Wow, never knew that about Marvin, cannot imagine Lenny stripping down, although he hasn't seemed to have a problem with nudity in the past. We shall see. I am thinking this role will be a challenge as Marvin did deal with many demons in his life. Lenny is up to the challenge, cannot wait to see how it all pans out.

8. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM

This song and very beautiful and inspired a letter

Madeline Gouin wrote:
    "Sexual Healing," by Marvin Gaye is a beautiful song. Have you ever really thought about the lyrics? "Get up. Get up. Get up. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up. . . . Baby. . . I think I'm capsizing. . . . and when I get that feeling, I want sexual healing. . . ."
    Madeline Gouin

9. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

"Good choices! When Marvin performed "Sexual Healing" in concerts he would strip down to his underwear. I wonder if the director will make Lenny do the same in the movie."
    I'm not sure who before me posted this comment...but it made me laugh and brought a smile to my face! This alone would be reason enough to see the movie! Let Love Rule, my friends!

Peace & Love,
    Norma

10. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Hey Norma, that's my post. I guess we'll just have to wait to see if art imitates life.

Norma wrote:
    "Good choices! When Marvin performed "Sexual Healing" in concerts he would strip down to his underwear. I wonder if the director will make Lenny do the same in the movie."
    I'm not sure who before me posted this comment...but it made me laugh and brought a smile to my face! This alone would be reason enough to see the movie! Let Love Rule, my friends!

Peace & Love,
    Norma

Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

11. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:58 AM

This would be a bonus! Just another reason to go and see! I am wondering if he will really do this role sounds like Marvin's family is against it. It was put out on Twitter by Rolling Stone and retweated by LK and Mathieu, but no formal announcement from Lenny anywhere (I mean his sites). Looking forward to it, but not as much as Looking Back on Love to be released.

Norma wrote:

Peace & Love,
    Norma

12. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Interestingly enough, the title is tentatively called:
    "Sexual Healing!"

Personally am looking forward to seeing it.

Some similarities between both artists: dynamic, uber talented, very sensual, charismatic.
    I would think all the controversy will only enhance and bring more attention to the film, which is a GOOD thing.

Lenny will do a superb job and get into the "role" and "skin" of Marvin as any good actor would do! Knowing the family, esp. Marvin's son, will only enrich his performance.

Doesn't matter what songs he'll do, I'm sure they will be a la Marvin-style.

R.I.P. Marvin.

Therese.

13. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:31 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Regarding songs: "Mercy Mercy Me", "Distant Lover",....no true preference.

14. Re: Lenny as Marvin

Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Lets get it on...I cant wait to see it.