LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:23 AM

It's FINALLY Here!!! The much anticipated documentary by Mathieu has been released!!! Just after midnight Jan 29, fans took to twitter sharing their excitement and commenting on the film. What are your thoughts and feelings on the movie? Favorite Scene or Line? Themes discovered? Cinematic techniques? Strengths/Weaknesses? Overall Presentation? Please share. Does Mathieu have a hit? He has asked that viewers share feedback on iTunes.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/looking-back-on-love-making/id592705699

SPOILER ALERT: If you have not seen the movie, you may want to skip reading the posts.

Live to Give
Lenny Lover Sista

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM

**Spoiler Alert! If you havn't seen the film you may not want to read my post.**

What can I say other than I absolutely LOVED it! BAWA is one of my favorite albums of all time so the music alone sets the film up to be great. I believe Lenny's talent is a gift from God- but you see that he works hard in the studio and with the other musicians. And that he cares about everything that goes into making the record. The creative process - how his love for his daughter, family & friends, and even his surroundings inspire him to create the music he does. Everything just seems to flow. What impressed me (but did not surprise me) was how natural it seems - Lenny is very comfortable with himself and making music. He was just as I imagined him to be- loving, hard working, thankful, truly inspiring. Credit to Mathieu for making such a wonderful film. You can tell there was a level of trust between Lenny & MB - the film felt personal and real. The different settings - the Bahamas, New Orleans and Paris, you got a glimpse of where Lenny lives and how his surroundings are part of his music. The scenes in Paris in the snow are beautiful. The scene of Leroy in the sea was precious. What I loved the most was hearing Lenny's thoughts on the whole process. And seeing how excited he would be in the studio as songs came together. His passion and enthusiasim shows! He has exposed his heart and soul in this documentary...and his spirit shines bright! Thank you, Lenny! Thank you, Mathieu! Love, Love, Love!
    Peace & Love,
    Norma

2. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Hi Norma,
    "Looking Back On Love" is about so much more than the making of an album. I agree, Mathieu truly captures Lenny's essence. It reveals "the journey". Very reflective. The movie opened my Mind, touched my Heart, and fed my Soul. Very inspiring!! All a part of HIS plan.

What is your FAVORITE scene or line from the movie?

Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

3. joy avatar joy

Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:45 AM

ooooohhhhhh my god! I've just finished to watch "looking back on love"!!!! I am in a dream! This man is a genius! I really want to thanks Mathieu Bitton!
    he took me into his world and I really had the feeling to come into his life, to share these moments of creation, inspiration, happiness and love!
    My favorite moments are unhesitatingly moments where we see lenny with his family, it is true, sincere and humble .... I like to see with his fabulous team flourish making music! They give us just love!
    And you, whay is your favorite moment in this movie?

4. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:09 AM

joy wrote:
    ooooohhhhhh my god! I've just finished to watch "looking back on love"!!!! I am in a dream! This man is a genius! I really want to thanks Mathieu Bitton!
    he took me into his world and I really had the feeling to come into his life, to share these moments of creation, inspiration, happiness and love!
    My favorite moments are unhesitatingly moments where we see lenny with his family, it is true, sincere and humble .... I like to see with his fabulous team flourish making music! They give us just love!
    And you, whay is your favorite moment in this movie?

Hi Joy, Yes I also LOVE the family moments; especially when he is at his cousin's house cooking, dancing and getting his hair combed. So real! So Loved! ...Not about being a "ROCK STAR", just about being a child of the "Most High". This is the Lenny I know and LOVE in New Orleans.

I think I need to watch it a few more times before I can decide on a favorite moment. LOL

Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

5. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I loved when he was with Zoe and talked about being a 'proud father'. His love and admiration for her shows. As a parent I can relate!

I also loved some of the studio scenes when Lenny was watching & listening to the other artists play. You saw his passion - he was hearing his vision come through these other artists and he enjoyed it and felt it.

He is a 'Rock Star" but he has a calmness about him - when he talks about the record and his life he is very natural. The film was full of passion and peacefulness at the same. (does that make sense?) I think Mathieu did a fantastic job - LBOL is a treasure.
    Peace & Love,
    Norma

6. joy avatar joy

Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Yes I need to watch it again too! My english is not very good so I wish it will be in french version one day to understand all things they say! lool

7. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I have watched "Looking Back On Love" enjoyed every scene. Must watch it a few more times to get a favorite part;yet I believe it will be hard to do because I enjoyed it all. Kudos to Mathieu, thank you for giving us a peek into the creative processes of Lenny to give us love through his music; also allowing us to witness the love of his family, especially his daughter, Zoe. It is also very interesting to see all the different people who contributed and how they contributed in making BAWA.

I truly enjoyed watching the film

Stay Focused, Stay Positive

8. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

is always a joy to see Lenny ... I really enjoyed the documentary. single point of failure: some things already seen. In fact, some films had already been published by lenny.....LLR

9. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Well I am one of the few, like Alibelle, who cannot get it.

So will have to wait PATIENTLY for the DVD to come out.

I read all the posts here, so far, and wish to really experience what all the other LK fans have experienced watching the documentary. Sounds like what I would expect from this extraordinary man and then some.

I do hope Team LK can assist us in getting it out in DVD format so MORE of the world can view and experience ALL that is LK!!

Can imagine once I do get ahold of the DVD it will get worn out to a nub as a result of multiple viewings.

Therese.

10. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I have not seen the movie yet, because the reason I do not have itunes.
    I hope to release it someday and dvd.

11. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I guess I´m not the only one who hasn´t seen the documentary yet. itunes is something for apple votary. I´m not a bot and not an apple beau. If they wanna reach the mass they should come down to the possibilities of the "normal" society, (for example with DVD ?) But they have choosen itunes, that means they only wanna catch the money of apple admirer.

12. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

As I posted on my blog, literally begging for additional fans who do not have iTunes to ask/beg for the release on DVD, I have not watched the documentary yet because I do not have iTunes. I can not even download iTunes because I happen to have all Android devices. I love my Droids; however, there is some kind of issue between Droid and Apple regarding iTunes specifically. It is a further disappointment because I had planned to attend the last screening but was unable to due to a schedule conflict. So, patiently I wait for the possibility of watching this documentary. My only hope is to watch the next time I visit family with access to it. However, as with other Lenny items, I would like my own copy...as in DVD format.
    "...Though I'm Not Paid, I Play this Game and I Won't Stop Until I'm Done..."--Lenny Kravitz

13. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I have finally downloaded it my phone of course I had to delete some apps 1st. Thank you Lenny for sharing this. I especially loved how he talked about his daughter. That was beautiful !!!! Lenny Kravitz is a very handsome attractive man(eye candy). He is so humble. For those of you who haven't seen it SORRY but all I can say is maybe long on to YouTube and watch all of his videos like the shakeout
    Woo woo he is a fine @$$ man!!!!!! Let Love Rule !!!!!!! Have a great day I'm going watch it again!!!!!!!
    Tysha

14. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

After spending some time visiting my cool, hip parents in "Appleland," I am one step closer to watching this documentary that I have been anticipating. I have learned new technological computing terms such as "Cloud." For all those who also do not have access to iTunes or Apple devices, ask people you know if they have the iTunes app or can download it for you. If they have a PC you can download iTunes (if it is not already on there) and create and verify an account. This allows you to buy the documentary with your credit card (among countless other media) and either watch it then or later. By the time I figured this all out, plus dealt with some other technological issues on the PC, I got 2 hours of sleep this morning (yep, I was that dedicated to figuring this all out). Using someone's actual Apple device links up to their account. I have no idea if there is a way to log out of that and create a new account, but I suppose there is. This experience has taught me one thing: I'm stepping into the new millenium as an artist and buying an Apple device of some kind.
    "...Though I'm Not Paid, I Play this Game and I Won't Stop Until I'm Done..."--Lenny Kravitz

15. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Unfortunately I couldn´t see the film yet :(...but I saw the Trailer and I love it... I can not describe how much I´m looking forward to see the film

16. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I watched "Looking Back On Love" again to be able to tell you all what my favorite part is.
    All I can say is that the entire documentary as a whole is my favorite thing.
    Sounds crazy but just the fact that LK let us see his creative process was amazing!!

I loved that he told us what and who is close to his heart and how genuine he is with the people around him even if he just met them. I liked the goofy side of him as well.

I'm so excited to know that the "Negrophilia" (I hope I spelled it right) project is still in motion and I hope we get it this year.

Mathieu Bitton captured everything that Lenny Lovers wanted to see and made him even more endearing to us. Thank you Mathieu!

Thank you Lenny.

Lisa

Lenny Lover Sista.

17. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I waited such a long time to see this movie, and had much problems with Itunes/my laptop! First time I watched it, it was cutting in and out, freezing, and then entire screen went black and I could only heard audio. I finally had to download it to a different computer. Regardless of finally being able to watch, I am hoping it comes out on dvd with a director's cut from Mathieu.

Mathieu did an amazing job of showing Lenny’s musical process. This behind the scenes footage gives fans a small window into the creative process of creating wonderful songs. It is so much more than that, it gives the viewer a glimpse of a side to Lenny that most haven’t seen unless they are priviledged enough to be his friend. Truly worth the wait.

I cannot name a favorite scene, too many that I love. I love him interacting/making music with Craig. I love seeing him with Zoe and how close they are. I love how sweet he was to give the woman by the truck an autograph and hug. I loved seeing Lenny with Leonard Herman, that time was special. This film shows Lenny for exactly who he is, exactly who I thought/think he is as a person. It reaffirmed my thoughts of what an amazing person he is, not just as a musician, but as a person. It is clear that Mathieu and Lenny have a close relationship where Mathieu can capture the "essence" of Lenny. I too, laughed when Lenny was jamming with George and Craig was eating chips? LOL

I think the two settings of going from the Bahamas to Paris truly showed the comfort with which Lenny can exist in both worlds comfortably. Lenny seems to be comfortable with being himself in any setting. We are all blessed that God made Lenny exactly as he is. I am looking forward to a possible release of Negrophilia (spelling?) in the near future? I hope it is so.

I will watch this film again, and have watched several times. One thing that strikes me about this doc is that it makes me happy to see how much joy Lenny has in life. And he has given so much joy to his fans through his music. He continues to inspire me with his positivity, faith in God, and message of love.

18. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I just got done viewing "Looking Back on Love." There is one moment that clearly stands out for me, when Lenny speaks about the song "dream!" A tear fell down my cheek! One question kept coming up for me: does Lenny ever find the time to build relationships outside of his music and business circles?

I suppose it is difficult to separate his image and stardom from his personal existence outside of fame? I mean, he clearly is a down-to-earth individual that happens to co-exist with the flow of creativity, in relationship to his personal life! And I can see how important his personal space is for balance! He is very lucky to have a place of solitude as the pic reveals! I can also see deceit within some of the relationships he has! Not all individuals, in a ring of money, are selfless! Just the opposite rings true! He has found co-existence in this paradigm!
    Madeline Gouin

19. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I'm a newbie to this website and a long time fan of LK. I just purchased the DVD and I must honestly say, I felt his spirit. I love how he speaks of the first dark night he arrived to Eluthera on the mailboat. He knew his life would be forever changed when the sun came up.

His body movements while creating his music resonated with the many times I have been in the studio with someone I love. You just feel their passion in every move, in every gesture, in every beat. It was almost too much for me to watch! I just wanted to hug him and love him and kiss him...

He's on another level - spiritually speaking. That man is literally waiting for God to bring him together with someone that is equally yoked. You can hear it in his voice. He's ready for the ultimate unfoldment of love in his life.

Oh lord have mercy on my soul....
    Cat Kravitz

20. Re: LOOKING BACK ON LOVE: Reviews and Feedback

Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Cat Kravitz wrote:
    I'm a newbie to this website and a long time fan of LK. I just purchased the DVD and I must honestly say, I felt his spirit. I love how he speaks of the first dark night he arrived to Eluthera on the mailboat. He knew his life would be forever changed when the sun came up.

His body movements while creating his music resonated with the many times I have been in the studio with someone I love. You just feel their passion in every move, in every gesture, in every beat. It was almost too much for me to watch! I just wanted to hug him and love him and kiss him...

He's on another level - spiritually speaking. That man is literally waiting for God to bring him together with someone that is equally yoked. You can hear it in his voice. He's ready for the ultimate unfoldment of love in his life.

Oh lord have mercy on my soul....

Wow, Cat I can feel it in your writing. Very touching
    Stay Focused, Stay Positive